My first post is inspired by some strawberries I bought today, its a Balsamic Strawberry Salad.
All you need in order to make a salad that will serve about 4 people:
- One head of Romaine lettuce
- Strawberries, anywhere from 6-12 depending on the size
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese
- S&P (salt and pepper)
- Small amount of lemon juice
1. What you'll wanna do with the lettuce is just break a head of lettuce into smaller, bite size pieces. The easiest way to do it is just peel the leaves off and rip them into bite size pieces. I suggest this because its cheaper than the pre-cut bag variety, and saves some money.
2. For the strawberries, you want to rinse them in cold water, and then just slice them into smaller pieces.
3. For the mozzerella, either buy the pre-shredded variety, or do what I do and buy the block of mozzerella cheese, and then dice it into small cubes. The blocks them selves are typically a dollar or 2 more expensive, however the block variety is actually much cheaper if you compare the price per unit. Yet another money saving tip!
4. Next is the salad dressing. This part I'd say is where the dressing is really up to you. First you'll want to pour some vinegar into a bowl, and then with a whisk or a spoon, whisk the vinegar as you slowly poor oil into it. By slowly pouring it as you whisk, it'll emulsify the dressing, and really mix it well. I personally suggest about 1/4 cup vinegar and between 1/4 and 3/8 cup oil, but really the proportions depend upon how you want the dressing to taste. The dressing gives the salad the flavor so balance the vinegar flavor to your liking. After you've mixed it, whisk in a small squirt of honey for some sweet ness, and a small bit of lemon juice for some acid. Add S&P to taste.
5. Finally, get everything into a big bowl, and toss the salad to coat everything in the dressing.
Enjoy, this salad is pretty enjoyable, especially in the summer!