One of my favorite foods has always been lasagna, which was one of the things that made finding out I was allergic to gluten last year depressing at first. However, I've found gluten free lasagna noodles at my local Whole Foods, so hopefully if you need to use a gluten free version, you have a comparable store next to you. Enjoy!
-1 box lasagna noodles
-1 lb ground beef, chicken, or turkey
-2 16oz bottles of tomato sauce
-1/2 onion, diced
-1/2 diced red pepper
-3 cloves garlic, diced
-1/4 cup oregano
-1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
-1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
-2 cups mozzarella cheese
The box of lasagna noodles will have directions as to how to prepare the lasagna. Follow the directions, but make sure to do the following:
- In the water that the noodles boil in, add a generous amount of olive oil. This helps prevent sticking.
- Under cook the noodles by about 3-4 minutes. This will make them easier to handle, and all the moisture from the cheese and sauce will help the noodles cook fully.
- Use low moisture or part skim cheeses. This will help the lasagna from becoming too wet.
- Saute the onions and garlic before adding to the sauce.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil while cooking, and for the last 10-15 minutes, cook uncovered so the lasagna browns.
- Once the lasagna is cooked, let it sit for about 20 minutes. This will allow the lasagna to rest enough so that it is still warm/hot, but does not fall apart when serving.