There are two flavors that I really enjoy in desserts, and that's citrus and chocolate. I've posted a variety of chocolate desserts, and realized last week that I craved something with lemon or lime in it; so what else other than making a key lime pie to satiate that desire. Lime pie is fairly easy to make in general, requiring a low number of ingredients and steps. I hope you enjoy, I know we did! (The pie was consumed between 5 people in the course of a day...)
-juice of 10 limes (end goal is to produce a little over 1/2 cup juice)
-1 1/2 cup gluten free graham cracker crumbs
-2 tbsp sugar
-6 tbsp melted butter
-1 can condensed milk
-4 egg yolks
-1 tbsp powdered sugar
-1/3 cup whipping cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham crackers, sugar, butter, and the zest of one lime. Evenly spread the mix into a pie pan, and place into the oven for 10 minutes.
3. In another medium bowl, gently whisk the egg yolks. Whisk the condensed milk and juice into the eggs until well blended.
4. Once the pie shell is done, add the pie mix into it and return to the oven for another 13-15 minutes.
5. Let the pie cool to room temperature, and store in the refrigerator for eight hours before serving.
6. When the pie is ready to serve, whip the cream and powdered sugar. Top the slices of pie with the cream and some lime zest.