Sunday, May 29, 2011

4 Foodbuzz 24x24: Gluten Free Spring Cookout


Hi everyone! I last participated in the Foodbuzz 24x24 event in January (that post is located here) so I was excited to be given the opportunity to join another. For those who may not know, Foodbuzz 24x24 is an event held by Foodbuzz where 24 people from around the world hold food events within the course of 24 hours. 
For this 24x24, I decided to invite some of my closest friends over for a cookout to celebrate the spring and the warmer weather. With this post, I'll share a handful of recipes that are perfect for the grill and the warm weather. The other common theme of the night was light, fresh, healthy food, which I believe was a total success!

I've had a few friends ask me how I'm able to put together events like these, so I wanted to compile a video with a few tips on how to organize food event and minimize the stress of doing so.

We had tons of fun relaxing and catching up with one another, and were excited to start the grill  for some delicious food. The central theme was fresh and light, food that would fill you up without weighing you down. Better yet, all of it is proudly gluten free, and only the sorbet is high in sugar. So come with me on a journey through an amazing springtime dinner filled with chicken, vegetables, mac and cheese, and fresh dessert.

Grilled Herb Marinated Chicken
Go here for the recipe!

Fresh Corn Salad
Go here for the recipe

Grilled Seasoned Vegetables
These are really easy to make. I have a variety of vegetables that I recommend, but feel free to use whatever veggies you prefer!
Ingredients:
2 bell peppers
5 assorted squash
1 medium onion
4 Portobello mushroom caps
5-6 small tomatoes
3-4 bay leaves
3-4 sprigs of rosemary
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder

The greatest tool for grilled vegetables is a mesh grill basket. By using a mesh basket to contain the veggies, you don't have to worry about veggies falling into the grill or with having to deal with skewers. 

Slice the peppers and onions into squares or wedges, the squash into 1/4 inch slices. Place into a Tupperware container with the bay leaves, rosemary, and powders. Let the veggies sit for anywhere between half an hour and 2-3 hours. Slice the mushrooms into thick 1/4 inch slices.

When ready to grill, place the peppers, onions, and squash into the basket and grill under tender and charred. Once these veggies are done, grill the mushrooms and tomatoes with some salt and pepper. They'll be done once the mushrooms have shrunk in size and the outsides of the tomatoes are charred.

Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
Go here for the recipe

Gluten Free Lemon Mint Sorbet
Go here for the recipe

I hope y'all enjoy the assortment of springtime/summertime recipes as much as I enjoyed making them!
My favorite ended up being the Lemon Mint Sorbet, which one would you most want to try?

4 comments:

  1. These look tasty! I think I would try the sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've really shown that gluten-free doesn't mean bland! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! Just found out our daughter is celiac so I'm glad I found this!

    ReplyDelete