Monday, July 25, 2011
A couple months ago, I posted a recipe for Gluten Free Stuffed Bell Peppers. I absolutely love the taste and texture of the filling, so I decided to make a variation of it with Italian sausage. I use mild Italian sausage in my recipe, but feel free to use a spicier variety if you prefer.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2 mild Italian pork sausages
1/3 cup brown rice
2 oz pancetta, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup red wine
2 Portobello caps, cubed
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup Marinara sauce
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1. In a small pan, over medium heat, cook the sausage in a tablespoon of olive oil until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes
2. Cook the brown rice in a rice cooker. If you don't have a rice cooker, boil rice in a small pot with 1/2 cup water. Once the water is boiling, cover and reduce to low heat for 20 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan, sautee the pancetta, garlic, and onion over medium heat with the wine until the pancetta has browned.
4. To the pan, add the mushrooms and bell pepper, and cook on medium low heat until the mushrooms have reduced in size.
5. Cube the cooked sausage. Add the cheese, sausage and sauces to the pan, and cook together for about 4 minutes. Add the rice to the pan and let it all cook together for about 5 minutes.