Wednesday, December 7, 2011

19 Ratio Rally - Cinnamon Lemon Cookies


Hey everyone, I hope you're having a good December so far, its time for the Gluten Free Ratio Rally again! This month our theme is cookies, and I am looking forward to seeing all the wonderful gluten free recipes! For the ratio rally, I wanted to make cookies that tasted like snickerdoodles with a twist. I added lemon zest to the recipe, and it really livens up the snickerdoodle cookies! They're really easy to make and tasty too!
As for the ratios, cookies are some of the most fun to experiment with changing the ratio. For example, the base ratio for a cookie is 1:2:3 sugar:fat:flour. My ratio is closer to being approximately 2:1:2 sugar:fat:flour, which is a comparable ratio to a drop cookie (ie chocolate chip cookies). The higher ratio of sugar creates a crispy texture on the outside of the cookies, while still tender inside. I hope you enjoy, and thank you to Caroline (click her to visit The G-Spot for her recipe) for hosting, here's all the awesome recipes from the rally!

Amanda | Gluten Free Maui | Simple Shortbread
Amie Valpone | The Healthy Apple | Grapefruit Sugar Cookies
Brooke | B & the boy! | Candy Cane Shortbread
Caleigh | Gluten Free[k] | Mulled Spice Cookies
Caneel | Mama Me Gluten Free | Cardamom Date Cookies
charissa | zest bakery | Coconut Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Caroline | The G-Spot | Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies
Claire | Gluten Freedom | Chai Latte Cashew Cookies
Erin | The Sensitive Epicure | Spritz Cookies with Jam
gretchen | kumquat | Classic Sugar Cookies
Irvin | Eat the Love | Apple Brown Butter Bay Leaf Spice Cookies
Jean | Gluten Free Doctor Recipes | Reindeer Cookies
Jenn | Jenn Cuisine | Basler Brunsli
Jonathan| The Canary Files | Vegan Salted Oatmeal Cherry Cookies
Karen | Cooking Gluten Free! | Mexican Wedding Cakes
Lisa from Gluten Free Canteen | Molasses Rum Raisin Cookies
Mary Fran | frannycakes | Pinwheel Cookies
Meaghan | The Wicked Good Vegan | Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Meredith | Gluten Free Betty | Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Morri | Meals With Morri| Stevia Sweetened & Grain-Free Thumbprint Cookies with Apricot Preserves
Pete & Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem| Belgian Speculaas Cookies
Rachel | The Crispy Cook | Melomakarona
Silvana Nardone | Silvana's Kitchen | Old-School Italian Jam-Filled Hazelnut Cookies
Tara | A Baking Life | Walnut Shortbread

Cinnamon Lemon Cookies


Servings 18 cookies
Prep Time 15 minutes
Bake Time 18 minutes

Ingredients
200 g sugar
113 g butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
zest of 2 lemons
1 tsp baking powder
96 g white rice flour
32 g tapioca flour
64 g potato starch
1 tsp xantham gum
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
cinnamon sugar (about 3 tbsp)

Steps
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two baking sheets.
In a small bowl, mix the flours, powder, gum, and cinnamon. In a medium bowl whip the sugar and butter until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla, egg, and zest. Stir in the flour mix, adding half a cup at a time, until fully combined and a dough forms.
By the tablespoons, drop the dough onto the sheets, separated by 1 inch around each cookie. Sprinkle each dough ball with cinnamon sugar, and bake for 18 minutes. Let the cookies cool for a bit before eating, and enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. i love the GF snickerdoodle idea! i will keep that in mind 1:2:3 ratio :). sending some #cookielove to u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon in a cookie is always a great idea in my book! Great job for the Ratio Rally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Junia! Its a pretty easy to remember ratio, and one that I've had fun experimenting with. It's interesting to see the textural changes that come out of increasing the amount of sugar or decreasing butter. Thanks for the #cookielove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Rachel, lemon does amazing things in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon sure does liven up a snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Thanks for the brilliant lemon zest idea! I bet orange zest or pink grapefruit zest world work well, too. And so seasonal right now! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lisa! I love using lemon in all sorts of things, I love how its able to bring out so much flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Erin, I thought about that as well when I was in the store getting ingredients, definitely a variation I'd like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yum!! Including the lemon zest is a great idea - I really need to make some sugar cookies now I think! And snickerdoodles might just be my favorite type of sugar cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon and cinnamon together? That sounds... BRILLIANT. These are a nice change of pace, as are all of the GFRR entries. What a great combination.

    Happy holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous idea to add lemon zest! Isn't it fun to experiment with cookies - really clarifies the role that ingredients like butter and sugar play in baked goods. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love zesting - probably more than I should. :) What a great twist on snickerdoodles! Thank you for sharing, T.R - I look forward to making these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jenn! I totally agree, snickerdoodles are the best.

    I agree Morri, I'm really loving the variety of cookies that people are posting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think cookies are my favorite baked item to experiment with Tara, for that reason. Its a really quick (and cheap) way of experimenting with food science to see how each ingredient contributes to the overall product. (Sorry, that's the science nerd in me speaking, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank Jonathan, and I agree. I used lemon and orange zest in a beef stew I made last night, adds a great flavor to it. Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. we are big lemon fans at the bakery. I've seen a cinnamon lemon ice cream before, but never a cookie. Sounds right up our ally!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Cinnamon Lemon Ice Cream sounds amazing, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your idea of the lemon zest with a snickerdoodle flavor. I want to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks! It's got a pretty interesting taste to it, I definitely recommend trying it!

    It went much better than my latest experiment of cinnamon coffee cookies...

    ReplyDelete