Wednesday, February 1, 2012

17 RatioRally: Gluten Free Sweet Cherry Popovers


Happy February everyone! I hope your weeks are going well thus far, and what better way to start the month than with another Gluten Free Ratio Rally!

This month's event were popovers, which I wasn't sure what they were before this month. 

Popovers are a ratio of 2:1:1 liquid:egg:flour

It's a very interesting batter that, when put into a hot oven, rises heavily and becomes this crispy, crunchy baked good. I also decided to add some xantham gum to the batter after some experimenting to help it maintain its structure. Popovers can be made savory or sweet, but you'll love this simple dessert served with a sweet cherry sauce.

Thank you to Mrs. R from Honey from Flinty Rocks for hosting! Please visit her blog (click here) for the complete list of recipes!
You can also bake them in mini-muffin tins!

Servings: ~8 regular muffin sized popovers
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients
Popover
225g milk
2 eggs
56g white rice flour
28g tapioca flour
28g potato starch
1/4 tsp xantham gum
zest of 1 lemon
4 tbsp butter, melted
powdered sugar (for garnish)

Cherry Sauce
1/2 cup cherries (about 2 handfuls) sliced in half and pitted
3 tbsp sugar
juice of half of a lemon
pinch salt

In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and eggs until combined. To this, whisk in the flour, gum, and zest until well combined. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 450F, and place the muffin tins in the oven. Once the oven has preheated, carefully remove the hot pans out of the oven, and distribute the hot butter through 8 of the tins. Pour the batter into the tins, and then place back in the oven for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 375F and bake for another 25 minutes or until golden brown.

While the popovers are baking, in a small saucepan combine the cherry sauce ingredients. Turn the burner onto medium low heat, and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cherries will break down and turn into a wonderful sweet and tangy sauce.

Serve the popovers with the sauce and some dusted powdered sugar. I hope you enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. Sweet cherry popovers sound soooo good. Great job for the Ratio Rally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your blog post as well, I had a lot of the same issues as you did. I find the most difficult thing with gluten free is making airy baked goods that maintain their volume...

      Delete
  2. Love the cherry sauce - these look delicious!! I also like the idea of the mini muffin tins making tiny ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love using mini-pans for gluten free baked goods, I get much better results out of my goods...

      Delete
  3. These look soooo cute! I'm a big fan of anything bite-sized and anything with cherries.

    <3 M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking popovers! I love your cherry sauce... yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh these sound great!! wonderful job this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live on a cherry farm, so I love it that you used cherries! Your popovers look great! I hadn't thought of making sweet ones, only savory. Thanks to the rally, I think I might experiment a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you think of the silicon pans? They certainly look as if they got the job done. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really amazing for easy removal, I love them!

      Delete
  8. Oooo yum! These look fantastic! I wish I had made mini ones...maybe they would have lasted longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think they'd last longer...all the minis were definitely gone in like, an hour....

      Delete
  9. As someone who taste-tested these creations I can say with confidence: YUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need a dessert-a-palooza...complete with these and creme brulee...and a gym event the morning after...

      Delete
  10. Yum! Sweet cherries already had me, but then you add a bite sized popover? Gimme!

    Thanks for sharing, TR!

    ReplyDelete