Wednesday, September 5, 2012

4 Ratio Rally: Gluten Free Quesadilla


Hey everyone, this month the Ratio Rally took on the challenge of gluten free tortillas. I found this to be a difficult recipe to make gluten free, as this recipe I've posted is only good for flat recipes such as quesadillas. Don't try to use this recipe for wraps, it'll fall apart.
My ratio is 
3 : 1
flour : water (with a small amount of butter) 


Please check out all the other recipes and posts to learn all the tips to making gluten free tortillas!


Blogger | Blog Name Description
Jenn | Jenn Cuisine Corn Tortillas
Jonathan | The Canary Files Vegan Curried Flour Tortillas 
Meg | Gluten-Free Boulangerie Lefse (Norwegian Potato Flatbread)
Pete and Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem Flour Tortillas
TR | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies Gluten Free Flour Tortillas - Quesadilla
Heather | Discovering the Extraordinary Sundried Tomato & Basil Tortillas
Brooke | B & the boy! Buckwheat Tortillas
Charissa | Zest Bakery Paleo Grain-Free and Gluten-Free Tortillas
Karen | Cooking Gluten Free! Gluten Free Healthy Flours Tortillas


Gluten Free Quesadillas

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
144 g  white rice flour
144 g tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp butter
94 g water
shredded cheddar cheese

Steps
In a medium bowl, mix the flours and powder. Work in the butter until little dots of butter are distributed in the flour. Add the water, and stir until a dough ball is formed. Divide this into four balls and let sit for 10 minutes.

While the balls rest, preheat a skillet over medium heat. Roll out the balls into thin sheets, and cook on the skillet four about 3 minutes per side.

Once all the tortillas are cooked, place one back on the hot skillet and cover with cheese. Cover the tortilla with another, and cook on each side for 2 minutes until the cheese melts.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I wonder if adding a gum would help keep it from breaking apart?? Quesadillas are always good for me :) Next time I'll try a flour tortilla, you did a great effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sad it wasn't as successful as I wanted, but that's where I'm hoping reading everyone else's I'll have better success. I considered a gum in one of my iterations, I think I may try it again...

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing, T.R.! We learn from our successes, but perhaps we learn even more when we are not successful. Yay for quesadillas!

    ReplyDelete