Sunday, January 6, 2013

26 #SundaySupper: Gluten Free Leek Ravioli


I've had several attempts at making gluten free pasta in the past, but I haven’t been fully satisfied with the result most of the time. Either they've fallen apart, or they've come out too grainy. It’s been a goal of mine to create a recipe that not only I can enjoy, but anyone else could as well. That’s why this week’s #SundaySupper theme fitted so well, trying to achieve something on your proverbial bucket list.

I deemed this ravioli recipe a success, the dough didn't fall apart at all in the water, and did a very good job of holding the filling (which let’s admit, is the best part of ravioli).

I played around with the ratios of starch a bit, and I think I've come out with a non-grainy, tasty ravioli dough. For the filling, I used a leek and pork filling, inspired by my Foodlove’s Blog Hop theme of the month: leeks. It’s super tasty, and goes great with anything as simple as a pesto or a light sauce. To learn more about foodlove, check out this link for all of the #leeklove hosts and information on how to participate!

Join us today at 7pm EST on Twitter as we share our bucket list recipes during #SundaySupper chat. Here are all of this week’s recipes, and you can find mine at the bottom of the page!

Sunday Supper Specialty Breads:
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:

Gluten Free Leek Ravioli

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
Pasta Ingredients
1 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xantham gum
5 eggs, room temperature
a dash of salt and pepper
Filling Ingredients
1/2 lb ground pork
1 leek, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp parsley
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tsp basil pesto
salt and pepper for seasoning

2 egg yolks for pasta glue

Steps
To prepare the filling, cook the pork on a sautee pan at medium heat until it is not longer pink. While the pork is cooking, add a dash of salt and pepper for seasoning. Drain the meat, and transfer it to a medium sized bowl. Add the 1 tbsp of olive oil, leek and garlic to the sautee pan. Season with another dash of salt and pepper, and cook until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Once the leeks are cooked, add them to the meat. Stir in the herbs, pesto, and cheeses until everything is well blended. Set the filling aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, starch, gum, and salt and pepper. Stir in the egg one by one, until a dough forms and the egg is mixed thoroughly throughout the dough. Divide the dough in half, and heavily dust a rolling pin and board with tapioca flour. Roll out the first half of the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 2 inch squares. Repeat with the second half of the dough.

To assemble the ravioli, whisk the two egg yolks in a bowl. Take one of the ravioli squares and place a spoonful of filling on the dough. Brush the outsides of the dough with the egg. Take a clean ravioli square and stretch it out a bit with your hands. You want it to be large enough to easily cover the filling and the bottom square. Use your fingers to seal of the edges around the two ravioli squares. Continue with all of the squares until all of the squares have been transformed into ravioli dough.

Fill a large pot with water, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 2 tbsp salt. Boil the water on the stove top. Once it is boiling, add the ravioli to the pot, with only 3 ravioli at a time in the pot. Once the raviolis float to the top with ease, then you know the pasta is cooked and ready to remove. Expect about 2 minutes for each piece to fully cook. Serve the pasta with the basil pesto and Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

26 comments:

  1. We made homemade ravioli for the first time at Christmas this past year - SO tasty! I love that your version is gluten free...sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love homemade ravioli and stuffing it with leeks and pork is a terrific idea! Happy #leeklove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It ended up really tasty, the leeks and the pork went well together!

      Delete
  3. You did a great job with the Ravioli. When I attempted Ravioli I sort of cheated and used a won ton wrapper, so this year I am going to attempt perfecting a dough so that it's REAL ravioli.
    This is just beautiful and looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely understand why, it's taken me several times to attempt a successful pasta dough.

      Delete
  4. Nice work. Gluten-free is not easy when it comes to pasta. Sounds like you found the right ingredient combination to pull it off. I love making homemade ravioli and these look fantastic, especially any filling with leeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love leeks. Your ravioli looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am passing this on to my girlfriend who has Celiac, it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to try these. GF when done right, is so good. These looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great leek recipe! This looks amazing and you totally can't tell it is GF! Happy #leeklove

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you used all natural flours as opposed to GF flour. Would like to hook up this recipe too in my GF cafe. the filling must be so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know if there's anything I need to do with linking it up!

      Delete
  10. I haven't even tried regular pasta much less gluten-free. Congrats on your success with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am super impressed with your gluten free pasta. I've made fresh pasta several times and have had some difficulty, I can't even imagine how tough GF pasta was!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I made pasta once, once. It was a challenge for me and I doubt the girls as I try it any time soon. A leek pasta sounds amazing. I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that whole wheat pasta is much healthier for me than the regular but I just can't bring myself to eat it because of the graininess. I appreciate your comment that this gluten free ravioli isn't grainy - that's quite an accomplishment! Your ravioli look perfect and I love the combination of ingredients in your filling. I haven't made pasta at home yet but it's definitely on my bucket list now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this! Your ravioli looks perfect, and it is GF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom would be all OVER this, she loves leeks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this ravioli looks amazing! Love that you used leeks! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow pork and leek ravioli! That sounds amazing. Love that you found a way to make them work as gluten-free

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job - I need to do more gluten free recipes. Love ravioli, and homemade ravioli is on my list to do this year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love to try your ravioli recipe, I do have rice flour, I just need to get the rest of the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other ingredients are pretty easy to find, I definitely encourage it!

      Delete
  20. Making regular pasta is an achievment in itself but to make is gluten free is even more impressive. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very impressive indeed! these look amazing! I have a cousin who makes gluten free raviolis with our family recipe--I know it's a lot of work but so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely is a lot of work, but it is very worth it!

      Delete