It's Sunday again, and time for another #SundaySupper! This weekend we decided to take all of our mutual love for movies and food and marry the two together. All of our recipes this week are inspired by the movies. There has been a huge volume of creativity over the past week from all of the participants, and it's been fun to see all the recipes people have come up with.
I was inspired this week by Life of Pi...and a well know pair Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. Life of Pi is a beautiful film released last year, with amazing storytelling and remarkable visuals. How do Fey and Poehler play into this? During their opening monologue they made a pun regarding Life of Pi and eating pie...the video of their monologue is down below:
I made a gluten free cookie crust, and filled it with a chocolate custard cream. Super tasty, and sooo tasty!
Be sure to check out everyone's movie inspired recipes below!
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) - Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It's Complicated) - That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- "Eat Me" Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) - The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) - The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Momma's Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) - Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) - Pies and Plots
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen)- Pescetarian Journal
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) - Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) - I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) - Big Bear's Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) - From the Bookshelf
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) - girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) - Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) - Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) - My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) - Curious Cuisinere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Diabetic Foodie
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) - Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) - What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) - Juanita's Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) - Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) - Gourmet Drizzles
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) - The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) - Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS') (inspired by The Princess Bride) - The Cooking Actress
- Minny's Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) - Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) - Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) - No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney's Fantasia) - NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) - Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) - Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) - The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) - Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) - Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) - Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) - NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) - Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday, April 14th to talk all about movies that have inspired us to head into the kitchen - and the food that comes from that inspiration (7pm EST)! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag, and include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Prep Time: 20 minutes for the crust, 30 minutes for the pie filling
Bake Time: 24 minutes for the crust
Cook Time: 5 minutes for the filling
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp baking soda
Preheat the oven to 350F.
In a medium bowl, whip the butter and sugars together until well blended. Add the egg and vanilla and whip until incorporated. Stir in the flour, gum, and soda until well combined. Transfer 3/4 of the dough to a pie tin, and form into the shape of a pie crust (You can use the remainder of the dough for cookies). Take a piece of aluminum foil and cover the crust. Place in the oven and set a time for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the foil from the crust, and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp coffee
10 tbsp butter room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
3 oz 70% bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla
whipped cream and mini chocolate chips for topping
In a double boiler, whisk the eggs, 1/2 c sugar, and coffee non-stop for 5 minutes until foamy and thick. Remove from heat and transfer to a separate bowl to cool down the eggs.
In a large bowl, whip the butter and 1/4 c sugar until fluffed. Stir in the vanilla and chocolate until well blended. Whip in the eggs for 5 minutes until fluffy. Pour into the crust and cover. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Serve with whipped cream and mini chocolate chips.