Thursday, May 30, 2013

0 Gluten Free Key Lime Desserts


Hey everyone! I've been on a bit of a vacation this week, so it is great to be back! Here's a gluten free dessert recipe that I adapted from a Betty Crocker recipe located here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/light-n-fluffy-key-lime-dessert-squares/980d08e4-69e5-43fe-ac58-8e0c323a3bdd .

There's a few things that I did to adapt the recipe to make it gluten free, and a bit more to my liking. I replaced the cookie crust with a gluten free graham cracker crust. If you can find it, I recommend using Schar gluten free graham style crackers. They have a great texture and taste. Another great thing is that it is also an egg and dairy free graham cracker (although this recipe is not dairy free).

Since this is a bit of a guilty pleasure dessert, I like to use a fat free condensed milk rather than normal condensed milk to make me feel slightly less guilty. I also use cupcake wrappers and tins to package the dessert. It makes single servings much easier to provide, and looks really great served on a platter.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time:  2 hours
Servings: 1 dozen

Ingredients:
1 cup of gluten free graham cracker crumbs (I use Schar crackers, it takes about 2/3 of one box)
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 can fat free condensed milk
1/2 and 2 tbsp key lime juice
1 8oz container Cool Whip
1 6oz lemon flavored yogurt
zest of one lime
limes for garnish

Steps
Line 12 cupcake cups with cupcake liners. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the crumbs, butter, and sugar. Evenly distribute between the 12 cups and press down to form crusts. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and juice together. Once combined, fold in the yogurt, zest, and half the container of Cool Whip. Distribute evenly between the cups, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

To serve, remove the cups from their liners, and top with a dollup of Cool Whip and a thinly sliced lime slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment