Sunday, May 5, 2013

20 Gluten Free Tequila Lime Chicken - Cinco de Mayo #SundaySupper


Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! I hope that you're all having a safe and enjoyable weekend with friends and family. This week, the Sunday Supper group is putting forth some of our favorite Mexican inspired recipes.

I personally love margaritas, especially since they're a gluten free cocktail. Tequila is an alcohol distilled from agave, a naturally gluten free plant. Liquors are something I was weary of gluten when I began this journey a couple years ago. How do you know a liquor is gluten free or not? It's become increasingly easy to find out which brands are, but a good rule of thumb is to research what the alcohol is commonly distilled from.

My tequila lime recipe is a simple one to do, you pretty much make a margarita and add some additional spices to it! I like to freshly grind my peppercorns and my cilantro to bring out their oils, I recommend it if you have a mortar and pestle! If not, it's perfectly fine to use ground pepper and chopped cilantro for the marinade.

Check out my recipe at the bottom, and be sure to check everyone's Cinco de Mayo recipes! Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, May 5th to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.

Cinco de Mayo Appetizers & Sides {Aperitivos}:
Cinco de Mayo Main Dishes {Platos Principales}:
Cinco de Mayo Desserts {Postres}:
Cinco de Mayo Drinks {Bebidas}:

Gluten Free Tequila Lime Chicken

Active Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 5 hours
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients
1/2 cup tequila
1/4 cup Grand Marnier orange liqueur
juice of 8 limes
juice of 2 oranges
1/2 minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 handful black peppercorns, ground
2 handfuls cilantro, chopped or ground
1 tsp sea salt
4 skinless chicken breasts

Steps
In a large bowl, combine everything but the chicken. Stir until well combined, and then add the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours. 

At the end of the five hours, remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 450F, and a large skillet pan over medium heat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, and add the chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to the baking pan, and place in the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F.

20 comments:

  1. Jennifer DrummondMay 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

    Yummy! What a great recipe! I love the marinade you used!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was super tasty (you know, before adding the spices and the raw chicken).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula @ Vintage KitchenMay 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM

    I made a similar marinade, but the addition of orange is really interesting. Will try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love adding the orange, it adds a little bit of sweetness needed for the marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tequila anything is fine by me - and this is a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a marvelous marinade! I will add this to our summer menu. These would be great on the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet this is UBER tender. And flavouful! No more boring chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I imagine this tastes as amazing as it looks. I love the citrus with the tequila and the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm - I am loving the flavors in this marinade! I am always trying to jazz up my chicken with new flavors, and this is a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nonyelum MishaelMay 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM

    this chicken looks appetizing and neat.looks like the one my aunty did at http://unn.edu.ng/department/home-science-nutrition-and-dietetics.It tastes so nice

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was! Definitely a really tender chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! It's a super flavorful chicken, you can definitely taste the citrus and the tequila!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are some of my favorite flavors with chicken. It just screams spring to me! I think I will be making this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recipe, I love the addition of the Grand Marnier!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought about gluten in alcoholic beverages thanks for the heads-up TR!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No problem! I think I'm going to write a post on it as part of Celiac Awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to give this a try soon! Funny story: I used to work at a grocery store at the prepared foods counter. We sold tequila-lime chicken breasts, and I thought they were disgusting! They tasted nothing like tequila OR lime. But all of the customers seemed to love them, which I didn't get!


    Well, I can tell you version will be like a million times better than that horrible memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. T.R. I'm drooling over the marinade - this chicken must be ridiculously flavourful and tender. I agree with a lot of the other commenters, I'm always looking for new ways to cook chicken and this sounds amazing. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome marinade!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never knew there was gluten in beverages. What an interesting thing to find out. Nice recipe too with using a margarita as a marinade. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete