Sunday, December 22, 2013

21 #SundaySupper: A Christmas Carol Plum Pudding

Hey everyone! This week for Sunday Supper the theme is holiday music and movie inspired dishes. I love the feeling of being with friends and family during the holidays, and I enjoy showing my love for them through the food we cook and eat together.
Growing up I loved watching the Muppets (enough so that I got way to excited a few years ago when the Muppets made a comeback). I always loved watching a Muppet Christmas Carol, which inspired me to do a traditional British dessert, plum pudding. I know that it may sound a bit odd, but what plum pudding truly is gets lost in translation a bit. Plum pudding has more of a cake rather than pudding consistency, and in Britain plum means any type of raisin-like fruit. Traditionally the cake is steamed by using equipment to steam the cake in a pot containing steamy water. I don't have the equipment myself to do this, so I like to bake mine in the oven in a water bath. A water bath is a method of baking where a cake pan or ramekin are placed into a larger deep pan that contains water. The concept is the water bakes the cake more consistently and provides some steam in the oven.

So please check out my recipe below, and be sure to check out everyone else's recipes in the list below. Be sure to join us on Twitter this evening at 7pm EST for a #SundaySupper twitter chat!


Party Appetizers & Snacks: Oven-Roasted Applesauce Scented with Rosemary & Vanilla-Inspired by the song "Christmas in the Trenches"- Shockingly Delicious Roasted Chestnuts Inspired by the movie "The Christmas Song" - Food Lust People Love A Popcorn Trio Inspired by the song "Let it Snow" - Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos Chai Tea Abominable Snow Buddies Inspired by the movie "Rudolph" - Cupcakes & Kale Chips Raisin Bran Muffins for a Crowd Inspired by the movie "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" - In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene Icicle Candy and Reindeer Snacks Inspired by the movie "Snow" - Treats & Trinkets A Christmas Carol Plum Pudding Inspired by the movie "A Christmas Carol" - No One Likes Crumbley Cookies Yukon Mashed Potato Cakes Inspired by the movie "Rudolph" - Cookin' Mimi Christmas Pudding Inspired by the song "Over the River and Through the Woods" - A Kitchen Hoor Pumpkin Pudding Inspired by the movie "Nightmare Before Christmas" - Basic N Delicious Elf-Inspired Christmas "Grams" Inspired by the movie "Elf" - MarocMama Sugarplums Inspired by the movie "The Nutcracker" - Happy Baking Days Chai Spiced Roasted Nuts Inspired by the song "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" - Take A Bite Out of Boca
Festive Main Dishes
Maple Syrup Spaghetti- Inspired by the movie "Elf"- Momma's Meals Who Hash Inspired by the movie "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" -girlichef Ginger Orange Glazed Cornish Hens Inspired by the song "The 12 Days of Christmas" -Sue's Nutrition Buzz NY Hot Dog with Sabrett-style Onion Sauce Inspired by the movie "Die Hard" - Small Wallet, Big Appetite Classic Caesar Salad Inspired by the movie "The Santa Clause" - The Little Ferraro Kitchen Individuals Meatloaves & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes for Mommy's Little Piggies - Inspired by the movie "A Christmas Story" - The Not So Cheesy Kitchen Christmas Waffles Inspired by the TV special "A Claymation Christmas Celebration" - Curious Cuisiniere Filthy Animal Pizza Inspired by the movie "Home Alone" - Foxes Love Lemons Chicken Orzo Soup Inspired by the song "12 Days of Christmas" - Family Foodie Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes Inspired by the song "Christmas Is The Time To Say ‘I Love You’ " - Cindy's Recipes and Writings
Sweet Holiday Treats:
Gin and Tonic Cupcakes Inspired by Adam Sandler's " The Chanukah Song" - The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars Inspired by the movie "Love Actually" - Magnolia Days Gingerbread Marshmallows Inspired by the song "Marshmallow World" - Jane's Adventures in Dinner Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies Inspired by the movie "The Gremlins" - Killer Bunnies, Inc White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Inspired by the song "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" - Alida's Kitchen Snowball Cookies - Inspired by the movie "White Christmas" -The Foodie Army Wife Penuche Fudge Inspired by the movie "Elf" - Pies and Plots Hot Chocolate Cookies Inspired by the movie "Santa Clause" - Mess Makes Food South Pacific Coconut Tres Leche Cake Inspired by the movie "South Pacific" -The Ninja Baker Cookies & Cream Fudge Inspired by the movie "Elf" - The Messy Baker
Cozy Drinks:
Toasted Coconut Hot Cocoa- Inspired by the song "Let It Snow"- Chocolate Moosey The Christmas Gram Inspired by the movie "Elf" - An Appealing Plan Eggnog Hot Chocolate Inspired by the movie "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" - Peanut Butter and Peppers Vermont Hot Cocoa Inspired by the movie "White Christmas" - Kudos Kitchen By Renee Spiked Hot Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Floats Inspired by the song "Holly Jolly Christmas " -NeighborFood

Baked Plum Pudding

Prep Time - 1 hour
Bake Time - 40 minutes

Ingredients
1 1/2 lb raisins, diced
1 lb currants, diced
1 cup thinly sliced orange
1 cup candied lemon or orange peel
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 lb suet, chopped
1 cup, 2 tbsp brandy
1/2 lb walnuts, chopped
1 1/4 lb ground Udi's white bread
1 cup scaled milk
1 cup port
12 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Steps

Combine the raisins, currants, orange, peel, spices, suet, and brandy in a medium bowl and cover. Let sit for 40 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the bread, milk, and port. Set aside. Beat the fruit mixture, adding in the sugar and eggs, one egg at a time. Pour the bread mixture into the fruit mixture and blend until well combined.

Transfer the pudding to a bundt pan. Place the bundt pan into a larger, 3-4 inch deep pan, and fill the deep pan halfway with water.

Place into a 350F oven and bake for 40 minutes. Store in an airtight container in a cool place.

21 comments:

  1. Wow I had no idea that the traditional plum pudding was more cake like! Love your recipe! Thanks for sharing!! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The muppets Christmas Carol is my favourite version, it just isn't Christmas if we don't at least watch it once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I forgot about the Muppet Christmas! I used to sing all of the songs!! What a great recipe too!!! Love your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the epitome of Christmas desserts! I would love a slice of yours! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't either until I had it for the first time and became super confused as to how a cake was called a pudding...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pudding vs cake, biscuit vs cookie - so interesting how things are named in different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Muppets! My girls have not seen that show yet, we must watch it this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the muppets!!! They are such a classic :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had plum pudding, I must try it, TR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had plum pudding. Now that I see all the ingredients...it sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah! I have always wanted to try Plum Pudding! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thank you for being such a big part of our #SundaySupper Family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the Muppets Christmas Carol! I'll have to try this pudding. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to try plum pudding. Dried fruit is one of my favorite things to eat, so I know I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the muppets too! This plum pudding looks great, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great movie!!! I've never had plum pudding before...seems like I'm not the only one lol. Looks like we all have some baking to do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my Arabic language class there are two British girls, and we were just having a conversation this week about the different meanings of pudding in the US vs. England. It got me wanting to make their version. This might be my test recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband is British and his mother is with us for Christmas so I have made an old family recipe from my Scottish friend Jacky's dad for Christmas pudding. I have been feeding it with rum for several weeks. I love that you tackled plum pudding, T.R.! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We've always enjoyed the Muppets too, especially at Christmas. Your pudding sounds like something fun to try.
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing the how-to on a traditional dessert, TR. I've always been a bit intimidated by plum pudding but you've made it very do-able =) Yay!

    ReplyDelete