Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Yesterday I posted instructions for how to make your own pumpkin puree, and today I decided to post the recipe for the pumpkin pie with a gluten free crust that I made. The gluten-free crust I made is an adaptation from here, and the pumpkin pie filling is an adaptation of this recipe. I hope you enjoy!
-1 cup and 3 tbsp white rice flour
-1/2 cup sorghum flour
-1/2 cup potato starch
-1 tbsp sugar
-1 tsp cinnamon
-3/4 cup butter
-1/4 cup ice cold water
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Cut the butter in to small cubes, and add to the flour mix. Use a ricer or a fork to blend the butter with the flour.
3. Add the egg to the mixture, until mixed well.
4. Slowly add water to the mixture, and mix just until the dough forms a ball. Divide into two balls, and place the dough in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 350F.
6. Put one of the balls in between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll out until a relatively thin (1/8th-1/4th inch) circle. Place a pie pan, upside down, on top of the dough.
7. Flip over, and gently guide the dough into the pan. Trim off excess dough and use your fingers to crimp the edges.
8. Place the pie crust in the oven for about 15 minutes.
-2 cups pumpkin puree
-2/3 cup sugar
-1 tsp cinnamon
-2/3 tsp allspice
-1/4 tsp ground ginger
-1/4 tsp ground cloves
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 egg yolk
-A little less than 1 can condensed milk
-1/4 cup cream
-1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 340F.
2. In a medium pot over low medium heat, warm the pumpkin, sugar, spices, cream, milk, salt, and vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour a few spoons of the pumpkin mixture into the eggs and mix well. This technique tempers the eggs to the same temperature as the pumpkin mix; the purpose of this is to prevent scrambling of the eggs and ensure a creamy texture in the pie. Pour the eggs mix into the rest of the pumpkin, and blend throughly.
4. Pour the pie filling into the crust, and place in the oven.
5. Cook for approximately 40 minutes until the edges are done, and the center jiggles just barely. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
6. Whip some fresh cream with some powdered sugar, and top pie slices with the whipped cream. Enjoy!