Saturday, July 16, 2011

1 Gluten Free Veggie Stir Fry


Every now and then, my roommates and I decide to prepare dinner together. Last week we decided upon creating a vegetarian stir fry. Stir fry is a really adaptable recipe since you can add in whatever vegetables or meats you prefer, or have in your pantry at the time. In order to adapt any stir fry recipe into a gluten free recipe, here's two vital tips:

1. Make sure you use gluten free soy sauce. It may sound silly that wheat is in soy sauce, but it is. Gluten free soy sauce is fairly accessible in major chain stores now, so make sure to pick some up!
2. Check the ingredients when you choose your noodles. I recommend a standard white rice Lo Mein noodle for stir fry. It holds up well, and is easy to prepare.

I also tried garlic scapes for the first time in this recipe. I found them at my local farmer's market, and they're a part of the garlic plant. I've been told it has a milder garlic taste, and is good to have in eggs and other mild recipes. This is my first attempt at cooking with them (at first I thought they looked like they belong in a Harry Potter movie) and my next desire is to try them with eggs. Read more about them in this Washington Post article!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!

Serves: 4 people
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
1 box Gluten Free Lo Mein noodles
3 inches of a garlic scape, minced (use 3 cloves garlic as an alternative)
1/2 onion, diced
1 head of broccoli, diced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into strips
4 leaves bok choy, loosely chopped
4-6 mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
salt and pepper

Steps
1. Preheat a wok or deep skillet on high heat. Soak the Lo Mein noodles in warm water for about 10 minutes.
2. Cut all vegetables according to ingredient list.
3. Add about 1 tablespoon wok or vegetable oil to the pan, and sautee the garlic scapes and onion until the onion begins to caramelize. Add the broccoli and carrots, sautee for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and bok choy. Cook until the mushrooms and bok choy have reduced. Will take about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the noodles to the pan, along with the soy, sesame, cardamom, and salt and pepper. Cook until the noodles are tender and the vegetables are cooked. Add soy sauce to flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing supports local farmers & produce like a delicious meal! The garlic scapes worked great for me in a soup, too. I'm looking forward to some more summer recipes posted as the summer harvest rolls in.

    ReplyDelete