Sunday, September 23, 2012

30 #SundaySupper: Weekend Apple Party!


On the eastern coast of the United States, it finally started feeling like fall this past week. Fall is my favorite season of the year, that time of the year where the highs hover around the mid-70s and the outdoors feel perfect and refreshing. 

Fall time also brings apples, and here's a great recipe for some caramel apple cookies. I know the photos above don't have the caramel frosting, I forgot to take a photo of them before I frosted them! This is a super easy recipe, and my contribution to this week's #SundaySupper. Check out everyone's recipes, and join us this evening on twitter for a twitter discussion focused on apples! Just look for the #SundaySupper hashtag. Here's everyone else's posts, with my recipe at the bottom!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
Main Meals
Sides
Gluten Free Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies


Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time:15 minutes
Makes: 2 dozen cookies

Cookie Ingredients
Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 Pink Lady apples
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Topping Ingredients
2 tsp butter, room temperature
1/8 cup pecans, chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar

Caramel Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
Steps

Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. In another medium bowl, whisk the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/4 c white sugar.

Once the sugar and butter are combined, beat in the vanilla and the egg. Whisk in the flour.

Dice the apples, and place into a small bowl. Mix with the 1 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and salt.

Mix together the topping ingredients in a small bowl until the nuts are coated with sugar.

Drop the cookies onto the cookie sheets in 2 tablespoon balls, 1-2 inches apart. Push in the middle of each ball lightly, and fill with 3-4 apple pieces. Top with the nuts. Place in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown around the edges.

While the cookies bake, make the caramel by cooking the sugar and water over low heat on the stove until the sugar has dissolved. Once dissolved, cook the sugar over medium heat, and once it starts boiling cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until a golden brown color has formed. Remove it from heat and slowly stir in the cream and vanilla until well combined.

Once the cookies are out of the oven and cooled, drizzle the caramel over top.

30 comments:

  1. yum!! You are right no one like's a crumbly cookie, my husband would LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can perfectly imagine the caramel on top! That they are gf is just a bonus, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the photo and wondered what happened with the frosting. I can understand about getting a post done and forgetting to take a photo of the final product. Thanks for sharing a gluten free recipe. There are a lot of folks who are looking for that these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I kinda forgot to take a photo post-frosting (crazy week) and ate them all before I realized it...lol

      Delete
  4. A cookie with caramel frosting? I'm so all over that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all of the GF recipes this week. This cookie sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll just pretend you licked the frosting off already ;) haha sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that the cookies are gluten free - I love the option to cook that way when I can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These really look incredible, so tasty and inviting. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound wonderful! With or without frosting, I am sure these are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking cookies, the combination of caramel and apples is always a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to see an apple cookie! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not know about others, but I am definitely love these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great flavor combination! I am starting a weekly Gluten-Free Share Page on OneCreativeMommy.com. It's brand new, but I hope it will become a great resource as it grows. I would love it if you added my party to your list of places to link up and shared some of your great ideas each week. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll add to your share page in the next day or two!

      Delete
  14. Apple cookies drizzled with caramel???? I LOVE these!!! Great #SS post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even without the frosting, the cookies look delish ! I love the apple bits popping out ! GF too ! Yumm !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kind of like the looks of the cookie without the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to place an order for 2 dozen of those yummy cookies please. mmmmm caramel frosting. That's my best Homer Simpson impersonation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how the apples/nuts are added right there on the top...makes a great presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh, these cookies look good with those chunks of apples embedded on top. I'd just dunk these babies into a vat of that caramel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that because I actually did that with one of the cookies when I frosted them.

      Delete
  20. We have a faint hint of Fall in the air down here in Florida this week, I love your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look yummy-I've been trying to bake more gluten free treats so these will be on my list!

    ReplyDelete