Sunday, February 17, 2013

39 #SundaySupper - Hearty Basil Tomato Soup

tomato, soup

This week's #SundaySupper Theme is skinny! This weekend all the recipes we share as a group are healthy recipes that are tasty and won't leave you feeling guilty about eating them later. We've got quite the range of healthy recipes below, so be sure to share them with anyone who may want something healthy to eat, whether it be a light soup or a guilt-free dessert. Thank you to Sue for all of her work organizing this week! Please be sure to check out her Gluten-Free Cafe page, it has a lot of great recipes and I encourage anyone who is gluten free to go check them out.

I've never been a huge fan of soup made out of the can. Most brands, aside from being potentially unsafe for gluten, taste overly salted to me, and really ruin the overall taste. That's why I love making batches of homemade soup. They'll normally last for a couple days and are really delicious. This is my healthy tomato soup, which contains low sodium chicken stock, fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, fresh basil, and some seasoning. There's something really satisfying about being able to count all the ingredients of a recipe with only two hands! My secret to making this soup smooth is to use a cheesecloth to strain out the pulp after cooking, and to serve with fresh basil on top. I hope you enjoy!

Servings 6-8, depending on the size of the tomatoes
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes

Ingredients
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
5 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 fresh basil leaves
2 tsp mustard
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper

Steps
Place a stock pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, onion, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Tear the basil leaves into shreds and add to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, and then cover. Let the soup boil for 30 minutes.

Once the soup has cooked, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until all of the tomato is broken down. Line the inside of a strainer with cheesecloth and place over top a bowl. Strain the soup into the bowl. Serve into soup bowls and top with some finely sliced basil leaves.


Be sure to check out all the other skinny recipes this week! Join us at 7 for our #SundaySupper twitter chat!

Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
 Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!

39 comments:

  1. Perfect! We love tomato soup and this one sounds easy and delicious. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, it is super easy. I recommend it for nights where you want to eat healthy but not put a lot of effort into cooking.

      Delete
  2. Tomato plus basil.... Oh yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomato soup is so classic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful Tomato Soup recipe! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomato soup is one of my favorites and your version looks perfect. Great idea to strain with cheesecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple & classic ! Sounds yummy, healthy & looks gorgeous. Thanks for posting and joining Skinny Sunday supper !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Thank you for all the effort you put in!

      Delete
  7. Love tomato soup!!! This look amazing! ~ Bea @ galactosemia in PDX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love tomato soup but I hate the sodium content is store bought ones. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Homemade is always the best way of controlling sodium content!

      Delete
  9. Tomato soup is a favorite, even better that it's made with fresh tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This and a grilled cheese sandwich is a perfect lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful pot full of goodness there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my all time favorite soups! I just love your recipe! All I need is a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it!! Crazy how grilled cheese is so perfect with tomato soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Growing up my mother made us tomato soup with croutons. This sounds perfect with the basil!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Basil tomato soup without any heavy cream? love this!!! will definitely have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never made tomato-basil soup at home, but I think I should give this a try. I adore the t-b soup at La Madeleine, but I'm pretty sure it's not very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about La Madeleine, but heavy cream is pretty common in the rich tasting soups. I personally prefer the lighter soup filled with herbs and spices.

      Delete
  16. Mmmm...I can just imagine how good this soup would taste with some homemade, crusty, whole wheat bread. I used to eat a lot of canned soups but not as much as my Husband. He loved the stuff! Since we're older and wiser (hopefully!) now, we haven't eaten the canned stuff in years and much prefer making it from scratch. Way less salt, way more veggies, and no artificial, tinny flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I just wish I could get the deep red color that canned soup has. I don't know if it requires a heavier concentration of tomatoes, or if they just add food coloring.

      Delete
  17. Love me some tomato soup!!! Specially homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tomato soup is one of my very favorites! Great choice for a skinny dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love tomato soup and this one sounds perfect. Now, the unhealthy part of me wants a grilled cheese sandwich to pair alongside of this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love tomato soups and this one looks perfect especially during these cold days!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm, this reminds me of the one I used to make in college

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tomato soup may be my all-time fave and your version if it looks fantastic! Thank for sharing p.s....you may have just given me a great excuse to get an immersion blender;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immersion blenders are such a great investment. Really one of my favorite kitchen tools I've ever had.

      Delete
  23. When ever I got sick my mom would make me tomato soup and grilled cheese. To this day it is one of my favourite comfort meals. This version looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how this soup is made and how fresh the ingredients are! This must taste wonderful! I'm not a big fan of canned soup either so I always look to build my soup from scratch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I totaly agree, those soups from the cans are just horrible aren't they?! Your soup makes me want to go back to the kitchen and make a fresh pot for tonight. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's always crazy to me the color differences between processed and fresh foods. Tomato soup is always such a great example. I've never gotten the deep tomato red color that canned soups have. It's always made me wonder what they do to make it so red!

      Delete
  26. I love creamy tomaote soup. With or without grilled cheese sandwich! Never tried making it myself but that's about to change. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really need to make a tomato soup at home. Just found out my 7 year old likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tomato soup is a fave around here--and you're right, the prepackaged stuff is always so salty. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete